Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Festival of Trees in May

Dear families and friends of festival,
I was checking my old festival letters, three years ago I started in October, then the letter was generated in July and here I am writing in May and feel like I am already behind. This year I will be the chair for Inventory and decorations. After working in this area last year I know it is a huge job and I need all the help I can get.
I am hoping to get my small fry assignments, trees and donations completed early. I must have been high on something because I picked out three small fry projects. I did it mostly because I have never been to the meeting early enough to make a choice and second I have had several scouts approach me for Eagle projects and I wanted to make sure I something for them.
The first small fry project is Santa’s key. The instruction reads: Find old keys and tie the key to the poem that you have put on card stock. Poem: If you have no chimney on Christmas Eve awaiting the presents that Santa will leave just hang this key by the door for him and all the gifts will be left within. .
The second small fry project is Santa suit box. Materials needed red card stock, black ribbon and pop tabs. Cut 6 x 6 square card stock, follow the instructions to make origami box. Make box sleeve. Cut black ribbon 6 ½ inch, thread ribbon through the pop tab and wrap around the box. I need 150 of these. The box is cute and could be done in many colors.
The third small fry project is candy bar snowman. Materials needed candy bars, white paper, orange foam, pomp poms. The directions state rollup candy bar in white paper, draw on eyes and mouth, glue on nose, tie scarf add buttons.
I also have the following materials that could be used for festival projects that are perfect for church groups, young men and women service hours, relief society super Saturdays.
I have a box full of Christmas tree decorations that could be put together for the theme, “hopping around the Christmas tree”. There are enough small frog items to put together a small tree.
I have a box full of items and a small ark that could easily be put together for a Noah’s ark small tree
I have enough gold ornaments that could be put together for a small tree
I have material and batting for 10 quilts. This year we are having a quilt walk and festival is looking for patch work hand sewn quilts to display
I have two bear quilts that need to be sewn together and one bag full of ready to sew items. So if you can sew, which is a lost art, please think about doing these
I have 15 tool belts that need to be filled with dollar toys and packaged for gift shop
I have one apple box full of yarn
Gift shop has asked that we make more pioneer pockets in Christmas materials. I also have the opportunity to sell pioneer pocket at the upcoming freedom festival with all the funds going to festival. I have the material and just need people will to sew them up in the next few months.
If any one has a lead or knows some one who might be willing to help I desperately need to find
Truck driver and trucks to move the inventory
Wed Nov 25, Fri Nov 27 Sat Nov 28 and Sun Dec 6
Forks lift drivers and fork lifts to move the inventory
Sat Nov 28 and Sun Dec 6
Handy men that can help put together display and lights
Sat Nov 28 Mon Nov 30
Professional movers to move the inventory
Wed Nov 25, Fri Nov 27 Sat Nov 28 and Sun Dec 6
Decorator who would be willing to decorate the front lobby Monday November 30
During festival I am looking for People to work opening night in invoicing and through the week in invoicing. Volunteers in Santa Land and I will need a whole crew to go through the inventory and repackage it. More info to come about Sweet shoppe items.
Hopefully you will all “pen “in the festival dates on your calendar and plan to participate.
December 2 through 5th
Last year Festival raised $1,495,840.74 for Primary Children’s hospital.
If you are planning on doing your own tree, please let me know so I can get you register and get your tree next to mine. Out family tree this year is based on the Christmas Story,
A Wish to Be a Christmas tree.
You can listen to the story at the following website
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtFHTk9VVXw
Thank you so much for thinking about festival and hopefully this year your schedule will allow you to volunteer. If not, please plan to attend and enjoy.



No comments: