Friday, March 26, 2010

FIRE !


Although I am a water girl, fire does seem to be my haunting element

First ,there was the small incident when I caught my self on fire. I was babysitting and had planned a fun hot dog roast in the back yard after going swimming. It was taking too long to clean out the weeds so I set out to burn them.
hose- check
gasoline- check
match _ check
I poured the gas out on the dirt and then went to replaced the container before lighting the match. Sadly, it was so hot that the gasoline had evaporated and when I light the match-- KABOOM
I got the hose and the fire was out in minutes but then when I put the water on my legs and the skin fell off, I knew I was in trouble. I went and wrapped myself in a sheet and sat in the cold water bath until my brother came to pick me up for the hospital. I could hear him driving down the road to get me. Because I was wrapped in a sheet he could not see what was wrong and I wanted to go to ST Mark's hospital but he took me to Jordan River. There they cut off my favorite shirt and took care of my burns for 2 days . There were extremely spiritual experiences there but they are too private to write about but I will say this," I did NOT have any burns on parts of my body that were covered by my church garments."
It burned my legs pretty bad ( 3rd degree) ,all the hair on my arms, all the hair on my face and several burns on my arms.
Then , there was the Christmas party coat fire. It was book club Christmas dinner and we are were having dinner at Little America. We were getting ready to leave were exchanging gifts. We could smell smoke but we thought it was in the kitchen. I put on my big coat with the fur on the hood and started to leave when my friend said "your coat is on fire" I guess when I had gotten into the pocket for my gifts that it had brushed against a candle and had been burning away. So right in the middle of Little American lobby I was putting it out.
And last but certainly not the least-- our house fire..But first I want to quote the boys, "mom, we always thought it would be you that set the house on fire-- not dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH. My heavens!! Did this just happen recently? We need to chat!