Thursday, March 10, 2011

One year ago today

One year ago today my grandmother passed away. It has been an interesting year and I have learned many new things about her. This last week my uncle gave me all her personal items. I was able to read letters from my grandmother and great grandmother and learn so many things about her life. Here is a small glimpse of her life:
My grandmother was born to Grace Evans,a single mother who had the fathers name removed from the birth certificate. My grand mothers birth certificate name is Geraldine Evans. Soon after Geraldine was born, Grace married AE Headley. From that time forward my grandmother was known as Fern Headley. Grace married to AE Headley was rocking and she left with Fern several times. AE Headley wrote beautiful love letters begging her to return and it looks like it worked. When Fern was 14 her mother died and Fern went to love with her grandmother Clara Evans. However before she could go to her grandmothers, her grandma made her change her name back to Geraldine Evans. When Geraldine lived with her grandparents she found out that her father was not dead, as she had been told all her life , but he was a live. Geraldine set out on a quest to find him and she did find him. There were a few letter between them, her father wanted to get to know her and told her that he had been divorced for years and had search for them but were never able to find Grace or Geraldine. They had only a few correspondences and then he died. Geraldine never got to meet her dad.
Soon after Geraldine become a single mom, who moved to Salt Lake. My grandmother, Jean tended Geraldine's son Greg while she worked. Within 3 years Geraldine was married to my grandpa and was a part of my life for 54 years.

No comments: