Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Book Reviews

One of my goals for 2002 is to write a book review on the books I read this year. I love to read. Sadly you have to read many bad books to find and realize a good book. 2012 is not off to a very good start with 2 bad books and only one good book read so far.
Two thumbs down goes to WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN BY LIONEL SHRIVER.
I am not sure what was so appealing about this book that I bought it. It has taken me a few months to finish it. It is letters written by the mother of a teenage boy, who murdered his fellow high school students, workers and a teacher. She is writing to her husband and goes through their life together and how she felt. It is mixed with her visits and relationship to her son as it changes.
It is too sad of a book and does not have a Happy ending.
Two thumbs down also goes to Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. I might be too much of a skimmer to read the deep meaning in this book. But it was just too weird for me. An old gorilla communicates with a man about how we should work with nature instead of against it.
Two thumbs up for THE SEVEN WONDERS THAT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE by Glenn Beck. This is a positive upbeat book with more than 7 things you can take away from it for a better life.
Two thumbs up for The weight of Silence by Heather Gudenhauf. It was one of the best written books I have read in a while. It is our book club book tonight and I am anxious to talk about it.

1 comment:

mCat said...

I read the same Glenn Beck book and LOVED it!