Friday, December 12, 2008

Festival of tree delivery day

Delivery day is always my favorite part of Festival of Trees. My most treasured Festival stories are delivery stories. This year however I was exempted from Tree delivery and had storage sheds duty. And like my delivery stories it was noteworthy. So here it is:
Clean up starts Saturday night and we worked till 3:00 am loading trucks. Since we were able to get two trucks full, we decided to send the truck up to the storage shed at 7:00am. I was to meet the trucks there at eight and start unloading. When I got to the sheds, they were closed with big signs on the fence stating " CLOSED SUNDAY". The storage shed manager had recently changed and I did not know them. They had the place all locked up and there was no way to get in. I am getting in a panic as I know there are trucks on the way and no way to get into the sheds. I drive around, -- nothing. I try to call and no answer. I get desperate. So I decide to throw small stones at the bedroom window. A man steps out on the porch and asks me what I am doing. I explain the situation and his response was they are closed, I plead and beg and he responses - no. I ask him to call the owner, who says- no. Finally after begging he agrees to let me in even though they were moments from leaving for the day. Had I gotten there at the assigned time of 10:00 am then we would have missed them and not been able to unload the trucks all day long . I have promised to stay and watch so I sit in my car and wait for the trucks. I leave the car on and the battery dies so I cannot go get a drink or go to the restroom. Now a cop car drive up behind with the lights on. I guess a neighbor had called in my car for mysterious behavior and vandalism. About now, a day in bed and a free meal is sounding pretty good. Doesn't matter because I have no money, no ID, no purse nothing on me but some keys to the shed and my car. Needless the say the cop was extremely gracious. The trucks come and we unload from 10:00 to 4:30 pm. It is long and hard work but we have finished in record time. oh yeah, I wanted to order pizza for the workers, after all Domino's delivers, but I had lost my visa card and no way to pay for it so a worker helped me out. Now I am close to pathetic. Then we we go out to the trucks and there is one missing. It is still at south town. We have to go and get the truck and unload . We finish at 8:00 pm . A long day. As Shae would say " only you Debbi"

2 comments:

mCat said...

Dear dear Debbie, you do know that you earned your saint wings years ago? Your dedication AMAZES me! Looked for you Saturday when we wandered over for a few minutes. Was disappointed to see so many trees still for sale. Hope the festival was successful as ever! Next year, I'll make sure I'm not on call and be a part of it!

Anonymous said...

HOLY TOLEDO......yep, only Debbi. You and Scottie are very alike. He constantly looses wallets, watches, credit cards......AND he NEVER STRESSES about it!! They always turn up somewhere, or someone is always there to bail him out, i.e. someone there to buy his lunch, etc!! Festival miracles for sure!! Ok, next year the company wants to purchase a tree. I'll remind you next year to get us a tix so we can bid......I miss you. Let's get together after Christmas.
KK